Thursday, November 10, 2011

Vegetarian at last

I say "at last" because it has been an interesting road to come to this choice.
I have been pretty healthy, when you compare most Americans. I make my own bread after I grind the wheat every week. I take flax seed every day and hid it in the kids food (shhh!). I buy organic when I can. We only drink filtered water and lots of it. I scan our food to make sure it doesnt have added crap ei high fructose corn syrup and all that junk. We do enjoy treats, but I just dont like stuff hidden in my food.  I could list a bunch more stuff, but I'll spare you.
Yet, lately I just cannot stop thinking about my heart and diabetes and unfortunately my gallbladder will not let me forget that either. So I started watching a bunch of documentaries, as you know. Then I prayed a lot and looked at the Word of Wisdom. I decided that we just need to forget about meat for awhile. The kids still eat school lunch and get a bit of meat there but their school is awesome because they really try to home-make everything and use the Farm to School program. Yay!!
Once I decided, sometime around when school started, I went to Costco and bought a Veggi cookbook and planned a few meals right there and got started. I have not missed meat one bit. :) It's been awesome. Chris does not want to say he's totally vegetarian but maybe a part time vegetarian. :) That is ok with me. It's been fun actually.
I did tell my two best girlfriends when we got together to hang out one day. That is when I got the awesomest response! Jessica said, "I don't trust Vegetarians!" hahaha! THat is so funny because I know how she grew up. hahaha. But, then the next day I got this sign as an email from her the next few days.
Oh how this made me laugh and still does. :) hahaha! 

You know, this has been an awesome journey and I know it will keep going. Some days I have to remember that we are Vegetarian, not Ricetarians or breadetarians. :) But, I try to keep all our food in balance and serve a complete portien and all that business. I am realizing that mortality is real and also, I only have my little kids for so long and it's up to me to start out their life right. 

If you are interested in any documentaries to start your own search for a better life, here are a few of my favorites. 
Preventing and Reversing Diabetes Naturally
and lots of others I do not have time to go over. 
Oh! And The Business of Being Born came out with another documentary! You know, called. More Business of Being Born. :)


No comments: