I was making homemade PECTIN, you know, like the pioneers and the hippies do. :)
I had this song blaring and thought it was totally fitting that this is what I was listening to while I was doing something totally hippie and knew I had like a million other things I had on my list to do. I LOVE finding out old ways that are so amazing and useful! I just love to try to do everything. Not because I want to be superwoman someday, but because I am just so dang curious! :) So, my very own theme song is shared with a monkey, but hey, who cares.
I had this song blaring and thought it was totally fitting that this is what I was listening to while I was doing something totally hippie and knew I had like a million other things I had on my list to do. I LOVE finding out old ways that are so amazing and useful! I just love to try to do everything. Not because I want to be superwoman someday, but because I am just so dang curious! :) So, my very own theme song is shared with a monkey, but hey, who cares.
FYI, making pectin is so stinking easy. It just takes some time. :)
Here is how you do this in a nutshell:
REALLY new green apples, smaller the better, like golfball size or so. You know, what is on the apple tree at the same time strawberries are. Because God is awesome and he designed everything to work together perfectly! :)
Then, cut up with peels and cores in tact. Boil for 20-40 mins. Mash, strain in a wire strainer or over cheese cloth. Sit overnight (or be like impatient me and squeeze all the juice out).
Boil that juice for about 20 mins to thicken it up.
Let cool. Done.
You can Google it if you have questions!
Ok, why so curious? this time. I could not have my newly picked 5 gallons of organic strawberries from the strawberry farm that took me 2 hrs to pick because I went way early in the morning and with a friend that we were talking too much doing so that it took forever, messed up with synthetic pectin and gross sugar to make jam! So, I did what every other superwoman hippie wannabe would do... looked it up in my Ultimate guide to Homesteading and knew there was a natural way. For a recipe of 4 cups of strawberries, I only used 1/4 cup of this pectin and 1/4 cup of honey for sweetener and that is it! YAY!! It is like the yummiest jam I have ever made or tasted! Chris agrees! :) ok, esp on my homemade bread! :) double yay!
Enjoy your strawberries people!! And enjoy your life! Hopefully you can find out something fun as a result of being curious! :)
2 comments:
Very impressive.
Thanks Sarah!
oh, you know me,always wanting to make a splash! JK! I just like to learn something new all the time. :)
Post a Comment