Monday, November 15, 2010

Ellis' Dress

My dear friend Jessica's baby is named Ellis Matilda. Total cutie! I wanted to do something great for her because she is wonderful for taking pictures of my babies and our family pictures. Also because she is just an amazing friend. :) I made her this blessing dress.

Pictures on this hanger does not give it justice!! Ive got to make a baby dress form pronto! I got so many compliments on this dress. I feel silly saying that, but it feels really good when people like my work. Especially when I work hard on something I love doing. :) My time away from the family for anything extra is a sacrifice. And I know it looked beautiful! (Who doesn't like a good compliment. I am talking myself into being ok with liking compliments.)

Jessica likes 50s classic style combined with beautiful whimsy. That must be why we get a long so well. :) I was inspired by the simplicity of pleating silk(ok, you know me, I love pleats for some reason) in a crossed bodice, trimmed with the satin side of the crepe back satin, and the rest of the dress was done in the crepe back satin with a champagne satin tie and bow. The lovely Chantilly lace under skirt and tulle as well to keep the lace layer light and pretty with no firm stark hemline to distract ya. I know Charlotte's dress looked similar on the hemline, but I think its a favorite of mine currently. I love my ideas with more than one design sometimes. :)

I couldn't resist playing with gathering up one side of the dress. Here I just show it pinned up, that is because my stupid glue gun finally died and I couldn't put on the WAY pretty piece of old jewelry on the pin for these pictures. Jessica did that at her house later. It was a piece from the 50s, pearls and rhinestones. Aww. It was classy blingy! :) and yes, that is a term that I made up. :)

I'll show pictures of Ellis actually IN the dress soon. It fit her PERFECTLY! She was a happy beautiful baby for her blessing.

I am going to do this dress over and sell it! I actually cut it out another one at the same time. I used up the last of my crepe back satin. I hope to get it made by next week. It doesnt take me that long to do a dress, but it does when I only have a few mins here and there to work on it. I have a MILLION ideas in my head, and some drawn out, for some unique beautiful blessing dresses. I have a huge box of white and light fabric screaming at me to use up. I have collected so much over the years when stuff goes on sale. Why blessing dresses you might be asking yourself? because people pay a lot for a special day dress and it doesnt cost that much to make due to not using much material. Fun stuff. I think I am loving the accents of old jewelry! Maybe a signature of mine? hummm. :) Chris got me a subscription to Vogue again with some free skymilage he was never going to use. I droool over it every night!!!
I saw some new sights besides etsy.com... bigcartel.com.... supermarkethq.com. If you are an artists of any type, go to these sights and see if its a good idea for you to submit your things for them to sell! I love the idea of buying straight from the designer! :)
THanks Jessica, for having a baby and getting me to creating something I love doing!! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful dress! I love it! sewing baby dresses is very fun. I really enjoyed making my granddaughter Rachel's dress six years ago.

granny said...

beautiful! your friends are lucky to have you, and you them I'm sure! This one does remind me of Char's. How wonderful to have a "Lester Original"...some day, when you're rich and famous, and everyone"s clammouring for one... Sorry, I just got lost in the whimmsy myself! Just think, we can say "we knew you way back when". Remember, I started my current career after my kids were raised and still have plenty of time to enjoy it and love it!